Essential Oils VS Carrier Oils
January 19, 2018
So we all know peppermint oil and tea tree oil and macadamia oil but do we know the difference between carrier oils and essential oils and what they can do for our skin?
Essential oils come from aromatic plants or botanicals. They are distilled from the leaves, bark, roots and other aromatic parts of the plant. They then evaporate and have a concentrated aroma. Carrier oils, on the other hand, are pressed from the fatty parts (like nuts, seeds and kernels) and do not evaporate or have an aroma as strong as essential oils. Carrier oils can go rancid over time, but essential oils do not. Instead, essential oils "oxidize" and lose their therapeutic benefits, but they don't go rancid.
Here's a quick lowdown:
- Carrier Oils that are cold pressed contain potent nutrients from plants that give you healthy, glowing skin.
- Cold-pressed carrier oils that are plant based are way better for your skin than either macerated or mineral oils.
- Unlike Essential Oils, Carrier oils can be applied directly to your skin and have super moisturizing benefits.
- Carrier Oils to look for include; Jojoba Oil, Coconut Oil, Macadamia Nut Oil, Olive Oil, Rosehip Seed Oil and Sweet Almond Oil.
- Essential Oils are steam-distilled and super strong.
- Essential Oils must be diluted with a Carrier Oil since they are more than often too strong for skin. If you're trying one for the first time, it's best to patch test.
- Popular Essential Oils include Lavender, Peppermint, Grapefruit, Geranium, Lemon and Orange and have a wide range of therapeutic benefits.
So what oils should you be on the look out for, for your skin?
Coconut Oil - super carrier, hydrating anti-inflammatory (check out Coco Luxe)
Grapefruit Oil - brightens, smooths
Rosehip Oil - soothes, brightens, anti-ageingMacadamia Oil - hydrating, closest oil to our natural oil production! (why we use it in most of our scrubs :) )
Orange Oil - clarifying, anti-ageing (check out our Sweet Citrus Face Scrub)
Bergamot Oil - balancing, clarifying
Lavender Oil - calming, soothing.
What should you avoid?
Mineral Oil Petroleum. They won't nourish your skin the way carrier oils do and have been proven to be bad for your skin. Give them the boot! So there you have it, carrier oils and essential oils can benefit our skin in major ways, have fun mixing a couple drops of your favourite essential oil in a yummy carrier oil and experimenting with scents, or ditch the guess work and use your favourite BodyBlendz product packed with carrier oils and essential oils!
Love BodyBlendz Team